The Seychelles Civil Aviation Authority (SCAA) recognizes the growth and increasing use of unmanned aircraft (UA), or commonly known as ‘drones’ for recreational purposes, monitoring of the environment and wildlife, agriculture, inspections and has huge commercial potential. UA vary in size, weight, performance and the most sophisticated models have the ability to access remote areas to carry out aerial surveys, deliver humanitarian aids and other essential supplies. However, it is critical that their operation does not present any risk to aircraft, helicopters and their passengers, including the general public, who are protected under national laws and international laws emanating from the Chicago Convention.
Civil Aviation Regulations 2017 requires all drones having a minimum weight of 200 grams or more to be registered with Seychelles Civil Aviation Authority prior to their operation within the territory of Seychelles. All drone operators are therefore required to register their drones using the form provided on this website and submit to SCAA for processing. A confirmation of the registration will be initiated by SCAA once the process has been completed. The operation of drones should always be carried out in a safe and responsible manner. Before conducting any outdoor activity, you should refer and strictly abide to the following basic flying principles categorized under the following Dos and Don'ts.Prior to registration, the applicant shall familiarize themselves with the below regulatory requirements including guidelines provided by the Safety and Security Regulation Department of SCAA:
Drone Owner Registration
As a condition to using the SCAA Drones Database (the “database”), you are required to open an account with the Seychelles Civil Aviation Authority (the “SCAA”) by choosing a username and password and also provide registration information such as your full name, date of birth, national identity card number, passport number, country of residence, permanent address, email address and other contact information. The registration information you provide must be accurate and complete. Failure to do so constitutes a breach of our terms and conditions, which may result in immediate termination of your access to the database by terminating your account.
You shall not choose a username that contains the name of another person/entity or that is not lawfully available for use, a name of a trademark that is subject to any rights of another person or entity other than you without appropriate authorization or a username that is otherwise offensive, vulgar, or obscene. You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your password and are solely responsible for all activities resulting from the use of your password through your SCAA Drones Database account. You must notify us immediately upon becoming aware of any breach of security or unauthorized use of your account.
During the account creation process, you will be required to upload a copy of your passport or national identity card. Any accounts created without identification uploaded will be deleted by our system along with any drone registrations submitted. Furthermore, after creating your account you will be presented with a screen which prompts for drone registration. You must register your drone immediately after account creation or your account will be deleted upon review.
As a condition of use, you agree not to use the database for any purpose that is unlawful or prohibited by these terms and conditions. By way of example, and not as a limitation, you agree not to use the database:
- to upload or transmit any content that is libelous, defamatory, obscene, pornographic, abusive, offensive, profane, or that infringes any copyright or right of any person.
- to upload or transmit any viruses, worms, malware, trojan horses, or other content that is designed or intended to disrupt, damage, or limit the functioning of the database.
- to make with the intent to deceive, any false representation for the purpose of procuring any drone registration or drone flight authorization.
- to create any account to impersonate any person or entity. You shall not create accounts on behalf of any person.
- to create multiple or duplicate accounts. You shall create only one account under your name.
- to violate the privacy of any other person.
If the database is used in a manner that violates these terms and conditions in any way, the Seychelles Civil Aviation Authority may at its sole discretion, suspend or terminate your account, disable your access to the database and/or take any steps that is deemed appropriate to address the situation.
Please read the terms and conditions carefully and make sure you understand it. If you do not understand these terms and conditions, or do not accept any part of it, then you may not use the database, create an account, register any drone, or apply for any drone flight authorizations.
Types of Data Collected
During the account creation process, you will be requested to provide to us with certain personally identifiable information that can be used contact or identify you. Personally identifiable information includes:
- First Name(s)
- Last Name
- Date of Birth
- National Identity Card Number (including a photograph of your National Identity Card)
- Passport Number (including a photograph of your passport)
- Country of Residence
- Permanent Address
- Company Name (if applicable)
- Business Address (if applicable)
- Email Address
- Home / Mobile / Office Phone Number
The information (including photographs) provided is stored on our database and local servers.
Use of Personal Data
We may use the personal data for the following purposes:
- to provide and maintain the database: to monitor the usage of the database
- to manage your account: to manage your registration as a user of the database. The data you provide can give you access to different functionalities that are available to you as a registered user.
- to contact you: to contact you by email, telephone calls or other equivalent forms of communication regarding updates or informative communications relating to your account.
- to manage your requests: to attend and manage your requests to us.
We may share your personal information in the following situations:
- with service providers: we may share your personal information with Air Traffic Control personnel (ATC) to be able to process your requests such as applying for drone flight authorizations.
- with our database administrator: our database administrator may view your personal information as part of their duties to maintain the database and handle any issues regarding a specific account.
- under certain circumstances, we may be required to disclose your personal data to do so by law or in response to a valid request by public authorities such a court of law or the police.
The Seychelles Civil Aviation Authority does not sell or disclose any of your personal information to third parties not listed above.
You must only create an account with the intention of registering a drone immediately after the account creation. Empty accounts with no drones registered will be deleted. Please make sure you have the following documents ready for upload prior to creating the account:
- Passport Page Photo
- Drone Photo
- Drone Serial Number Photo
Do I have to pay a registration fee?For the time being all drone registrations are free of charge.
How can I find out where it is acceptable to fly a drone and where it is not?Please refer to the Dos and Don’ts from the “Unmanned Aircraft / Drone Operation Safety Guidelines” and “Operation of Unmanned Aircraft Systems (Drones)” documentation here.
What should I do if I see a drone being flown in a reckless manner?If you notice someone flying their drone in a reckless manner which goes against published guidelines, please report the incident to us by clicking here. If this is an emergency (there is imminent danger presented by the drone), please contact your local police.
How do I find my drone serial number?
Most serial numbers are located on or inside the body of the drone.
To find your serial number, follow these steps:
- Make sure your drone is switched off and is safe to investigate.
- Find and remove your drone's battery.
- Inside the battery compartment, look for a range of numbers or characters – this is your serial number. This number may also be labelled 'Serial number' or simply as 'S/N' or ‘SNID’.
- If your drone's battery can't be removed, search the outside for a set of numbers or characters as above.
- If there is no number on the drone itself, you might find it on your warranty card or original packaging.
For DJI drones:
- it often appears under or adjacent to a QR code
- it will be 14-characters long and it may include a combination of letters and numbers
- visit the DJI website to find out How to check your product's serial number
- check the list of DJI models and serial number prefixes to look out for
This table contains DJI models and serial number prefixes.
Inspire 1 V2.0
Matrice 200 V2
Matrice 210 RTK
Matrice 210 V2
Matrice 300 RTK
Mavic 2 Enterprise (DUAL)
Mavic 2 Enterprise (ZOOM)
Mavic Mini 2
Mavic Pro Platinum
Phantom 4 RTK
Phantom 3 4K
Phantom 3 Advanced
Phantom 3 Professional
Phantom 3 SE
Phantom 3 Standard
Phantom 4 ADV
Phantom 4 ADV+
Phantom 4 Pro 2.0
Phantom 4 Pro 2.0+
Phantom 4 Pro
Phantom 4 Pro+
How do I contact the SCAA Drone Office?
Telephone: +248 4384271
WhatsApp: +248 2740985 - Quick Chat? Click Here